Topic: April 19th 2007 Meeting

Is there interest in having a meeting for the month of April?  The location and time is posted in our Linux News section.

Re: April 19th 2007 Meeting

I propose three options for our next meeting.  Since there have not been any responses to a topic idea, I came up with a couple of my own.

1. Setup a Gentoo box. 
Many people are interested in Gentoo but have either had trouble or feel intimidated by the process. We could take a box and getting Gentoo running. Since Gentoo installs only what you want it to it has a high potential of being the most secure, stable and best fit for your hardware.  We cold use this machine as our official meeting server that will be available during each meeting.  In the future we could put this server online for us to use. We could also have games and other interaction to pass some of the waiting time during an install. Though from experience it is pretty interactive install.

2. How to secure a Linux box.
Take a Linux server and walk through steps on securing it for public use.  I would offer some initial discussion and activities and then we could work as a group to learn from one another.

3. Hold off the meeting for another month to regain interest.

There...those are my ideas.  Three good options to choose from.   I know that you guys are alive out there so respond with some feed back.  If you can't come then let us know.  If you don't like the options you can suggest another one.  If you want to offer other ideas for the group then speak up.

I like the idea of how to secure a Linux box (2), though I can't yet commit to attendance for the next meeting.

If everyone is interested in option #2 (How to secure a Linux box) I have written a short check list that can be used as a  follow-the-steps direction to securing your Linux box.  It was written for the intention of someone taking the handout home and following the steps and included commands. It is by no means a definitive paper but covers most situations.

Linux security would also be a good thread in the server administration section...

"The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
--Harlan Ellison

Good idea nox.  I updated the forum description for the "Servers and Server Administration" section.  Once we have the meeting I will post the paper there for discussion.  BTW, are you able to come back to Flagstaff for a meeting every now and then or are you too far away?

It looks like I can make the meeting on the 19th.  Any topic is fine with me.  Since I show up so seldom, I can't really ask to drive the agenda.

My sparse attendance has been because after I lobbied for LUNA to move the meeting time, I missed the fact that it was moving to the same night as our monthly Church Council meeting.  I'm an Elder in our church through May 2008 so unless a council meeting gets cancelled I have to make that my priority.  I really apologize for pushing for the meeting change and then not being able to participate - that's what I get for carrying my calendar in my head instead of using a planner.

Ernie

It will be good to have you Ernie.  No problem on attendance.  We can always reevaluate our meeting times again. We should have another planning time after a meeting when we have a group of people that have attended several times. I think it is good to have the current participating group keep evaluating the groups needs. That way nothing gets stuck in a rut.

We had a good meeting with three people in attendance.  I gave a presentation on how to secure a Linux box.  It was a basic intro to security in Linux.  It was designed to fit most Linux distros and deployment situations.  We covered limiting processes and logins per user/group, setting up boot loader passwords, setting up disk quotas, securing the use of sudo and su, securing ssh with sshd_config options, firewalls, limiting file and directory permissions and limiting application permissions.

In the future we could have more advanced security presentations that focus on specific applications and services.

Do you have a slide show or pdf that you may have shown that you could share?

The information is located in a new thread under the "Servers and Server Administration" called Beginners Guide to Securing a Linux Box